A new textbook for the Care of the Older Person FETAC award 5N2706, covering a wide range of issues related to the care of the older person, while presenting the essential knowledge, skills and competencies required to meet the needs of the older person in a variety of care settings.
- Introduces a range of age-related issues such as healthy ageing, demographic trends, and normal physiological and psychological processes of ageing.
- Examines the social impact of and various attitudes to ageing.
- Highlights the role of the healthcare assistant in providing care and promoting positive attitudes to ageing.
- Explores the physical, social, emotional, psychological, recreational, financial, environmental and spiritual needs of the older person.
- Discusses issues relating to mental illness and dementia.
- Identifies appropriate care practices to meet the needs both of the dying older person and of the older person with sensory or cognitive impairment or physical disabilities.
- Facilitates aspects of care of the older person to include empowerment, advocacy, independence, dignity, respect, choice and self-esteem.
- Presents guidelines on how to communicate effectively and respectfully with the relatives of the older person.
Care of the Older Person (5N2706) as part of the following major awards:
Community Care (5M2786)
Health Service Skills (5M3782)
Health Care Support (5M4339)
Nursing Studies (5M4349)
Community Health Service Level 5 (5M4467) and (5M4468