Language in Action focuses on the Comprehension and Composition skills that are tested in Paper 1 of the Leaving Certificate English examination at Ordinary Level. The dual purpose of this textbook is to develop the reading and writing skills of students by exposing them to a wide range of texts, written in a variety of styles that will appeal to active and inquisitive minds.
The book contains:
- A concise explanation of Paper 1 and informative notes on the use of language.
- A section on Comprehending that thoroughly prepares students for Questions A and B of Section 1 of the paper.
- A section on Composing which deals methodically with grammar, spelling and punctuation, and offers clear guidance on the main types of composition: articles, the personal essay, debate/speech and the short story.
- A theme-based section modelled on the Leaving Certificate examination format. Texts have been organised under twelve themes such as Sport, Prejudice and Bullying, Violence, Holidays and Pets.
- Many questions and composition exercises throughout the book that will serve as an ideal preparation for the examination.
- 160 pages in full colour.